Philips Lumea IPL Hair Removal – what it is and what it isn’t
Most hair reduction technologies that use IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) doesn’t have an integrated UV filter like the Philips Lumea IPL Hair Removal system which protects your skin from harmful UV light. This easy-to-use, handheld device gives you maximum freedom and maneuverability every time you use it, with 3 sq. cm application window for effective treatment of large areas and a 7.5 W power. It has five light energy settings adjustable to your skin type.
Unfortunately, the Philips Lumea IPL Hair Removal system is not suitable for (naturally) red, grey and light blonde hair or for very dark skin types. This is because the melanin in the hair absorbs the light pulses making the follicle “rest”.
Light-colored hair does not absorb the light pulses, thus making the device effective only to dark blonde, brown, and black hair. Also, Philips Lumea IPL Hair Removal system does not promise permanent hair reduction. As mentioned, it only “rests” the follicle thus requiring treatment every 2 weeks.
A Few Product Details
Philips Lumea IPL Hair Removal System SC2001 eliminates your unwanted hair. Utilising an innovative Intense Pulsed Light technology, this hand-held Philips Lumea works by applying gentle pulses of light to the root of the hair which stimulate hair root into a resting phase.
This hair-removing process causes your hair to shed naturally and inhibits regrowth. By using it twice a week on bikini areas and underarms and every four weeks on legs, you will have hair-free and smooth skin every day.
After six years of conducting clinical and handling trials amongst 1,000 women, Philips Lumea has proven to be gentle, safe and effective hair remover for home use on bikini areas, underarms and legs. It leaves no dark shadows, ingrown hairs or stubble on skin. With its 5 adjustable light settings, Philips Lumea can be safe to use even on the most sensitive areas of the body.
How does Philips Lumea remove hair and prevent hair growth?
Philips Lumea IPL Hair Removal System SC2001 applies gentle pulses of light directly to the hair which are absorbed by the hair’s melanin and hair root, therefore heating up the hair and root beneath the skin. In effect, the follicle goes into a resting phase so the hair sheds naturally in the following days.
This is a safe process as an internal optical filter ensures that no UV light penetrates the skin. It takes several weeks for the hair root to be active again so a new hair can grow. Hair growth can be prevented by using Philips Lumea every two weeks to ensure that no hair can grow back.
Average Treatment Time
- Underarms: Two minutes per underarm
- Bikini line: Two minutes per side
- Entire bikini area: Eight minutes
- One full leg: 30 minutes
- One lower leg: 15 minutes
How to use Philips Lumea IPL
- Pre-shave the area to be treated so light energy channeling to the follicle is optimized. Pre-shaving is only required for the first new treatments.
- Carefully consult the skin and hair type matrix and select the correct light intensity that suits your skin tone and colour of your body hair.
- Gently apply pulses of light to the hair. The heat that the light produces transfers to the hair follicle so it goes into a resting phase.
- The hair sheds naturally and inhibited from growing back.
- Repeat the treatment every two weeks for underarms and bikini lines and every month for legs to minimise hair regrowth.
Let’s Look at Features of the Philips Lumea Hair Removal System SC2001
- Philips Lumea SC2001 is equipped with IPL technology for permanent hair reduction and professional results at home
- Easy-to-use, hand-held device for maximum freedom and maneuverability during use
- Intense pulsed light is a hair removal system to prevent hair growth
- 5 light energy settings to ensure painless treatment across a range of different skin tones and hair colours
- 3 cm² application window for effective treatment of large areas with 7.5W power
- Integrated UV filter protects your skin from UV light
- Lumea is also equipped with an integrated UV filter that protects your skin from UV light
- Suitable for underarms, bikini area and legs
- Five light energy settings adjustable to your skin type
- Rechargeable device, fully charges in 1 ½ hours.
- Lumea also has a charging light, low battery level indicator and ‘ready-to-flash’ light to indicate the correct position on the skin
- Ready-to-flash’ light indicates correct position on the skin
- Rechargeable battery with one-hour quick charge functionality
- Voltage: 100-240 V
- Light energy level: 2 to 6.5 J/cm² (depending on chosen setting)
- Light spectrum: >570 nm
Philips Lumea Review – IPL Hair Removal System SC2001
With an average rating of 4 out of 5 stars, it’s no doubt that Philips Lumea IPL Hair Removal System SC2001 proved to be an effective hair remover for most of its users. This product is a seriously good investment, as long as you match the requirements and it works.
The unit itself is very sturdy and well-made. It sits comfortably in the hand and nothing is loose or rattles. It feels as though it will last a lifetime. The bulb, apparently, should not ever need replacing.
This Philips home IPL hair removal system comes with full instruction book and a smaller leaflet with a quick guide of instructions, Dos and Don’ts and general usage.
There is also a DVD to give you a step-by-step guide of what to expect which are all totally helpful and reassuring.
To help you identify if this Philips Lumea SC2001 is suitable for you there is an easy-to-understand grid. On one side of the grid is your skin colouring and characteristics, and on the other side is your body hair colouring.
You can then read across to the point where your two specific colourings meet and it will have a cross if you are not suitable to use this product. This grid is on the product information and also on the box.
Whereas, there were plenty of positive feedbacks from a majority of customers who used the Philips Lumea, there were some negative feedbacks. For example, there were customers who found it does get hot on your skin when using so beware in sensitive areas.
The Philips IPL hair removal system does not seem to work well on settings below 4. Also, the part of the Lumea that touches the skin gets very hot very quickly.
Majority of the online reviewers were impressed with Philips Lumea IPL Hair Removal System SC2001. It is ideal as a way to manage hair removal and minimise re-growth in the comfort of your own home. It costs much less than the same type of treatment you can get from salon and you can do it at anytime most suitable for you.
It is a good-quality product that allows the user to never experience hair stubble on their legs and underarms again. Philips Lumea SC2001 is a top-of-the-line and very professional hair remover. If you’re looking for long-term hair removal, this is the quality device for women who are very serious about their appearance.
As the Philips Lumea IPL Hair Removal System SC2001 is discontinued, you can check the newer version the Philips Lumea Precision IPL here.